THE RAREST FORM OF PARATESTICULAR LEIOMYOSARCOMA
1Department of Urology, Hereford County Hospital, Wye Valley NHS Trust
DOI: 10.22374/1875-6822.214.171.124 Vol.14,Issue 1,January 2018 pp.19-21
Published: 01 January 2018
Paratesticular tumours make up less than 5% of intra-scrotal tumours and of these, approximately 30%are malignant tumours with sarcomas accounting for the majority.
Leiomyosarcoma is a malignant tumour arising from soft tissues containing smooth muscle. They are reported as comprising between 5-30% of paratesticular sarcomas.1,2 It is extremely rare that they arise from tissue other than the spermatic cord or epididymis.
The authors describe such a case of paratesticular leiomyosarcoma in a 54-year-old man who presented with a six-month history of a painful testis and who subsequently underwent radical inguinal orchidectomy and high ligation.
Jonathan Cobley. THE RAREST FORM OF PARATESTICULAR LEIOMYOSARCOMA. Journal of Men's Health. 2018. 14(1);19-21.
1. Husain M and Verma N. Current concepts in pa-thology of soft tissue sarcoma. Indian J Surg Oncol 2011;2(4):302–3. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm. nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3338140/
2. Unlu Y et al. Paratesticular sarcomas: a report of seven cases. Oncol Lett 2015;9:308–12. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4246635/
3. Galosi AB et al. Adult primary paratesticular mesen-chymal tumors with emphasis on a case presentation and discussion of spermatic cord leiomyosarcoma. Diagnost Pathol 2014;9:90. Available at: https://www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039061/
4. Khoubehi B, et al. Adult paratesticular tumours. BJU Internat 2002;90:707–15. Available at: http://onlinelibrary. wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1464-410X.2002.02992.x/full
5. Haran S, Balakrishnan V, Neerhut G. A rare case of paratesticular leiomyosarcoma. Case Rep Urol 2014. Available at: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criu/2014/715395/
6. Patel B, Vora A, Muruve N. Case of subcutaneous leio-myosarcoma of the scrotum presenting as a sebaceous cyst in a 71-year-old man: a case report and review of the literature. Urol Case Rep 2014;2:181–82. Avail-able at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4782121/
7. Sighinolfi MC, et al. Well-differentiated giant scrotal liposarcoma: case presentation and management. Andro-logia 2008;40:200–202. Available at: http://onlinelibrary. wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0272.2008.00841.x/full
8. Bansal D, et al. Leiomyosarcoma presenting as a scrotal mass. Urol Case Rep 2016;7:42–44. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4909635/
9. Alfarelos J et al. Paratesticular leiomyosarcoma: a case report and review of the literature. Urol Case Rep 2017;11:30–32. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pmc/articles/PMC5225278/
10. Kyratzi I, et al. Imaging features of a huge spermatic cord leiomyosarcoma: Review of the literature. World J Radiol 2011;3(4):114–19. Available at: https://www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084435/
Science Citation Index Expanded Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Social Sciences Citation Index Social Sciences Citation Index contains over 3,400 journals across 58 social sciences disciplines, as well as selected items from 3,500 of the world’s leading scientific and technical journals. More than 9.37 million records and 122 million cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Current Contents - Social & Behavioral Sciences Current Contents - Social & Behavioral Sciences provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in the social and behavioral sciences.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
SCOPUS Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
DOAJ DOAJ is a community-curated online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals.
CrossRef Crossref makes research outputs easy to find, cite, link, assess, and reuse. Crossref committed to open scholarly infrastructure and collaboration, this is now announcing a very deliberate path.
Portico Portico is a community-supported preservation archive that safeguards access to e-journals, e-books, and digital collections. Our unique, trusted process ensures that the content we preserve will remain accessible and usable for researchers, scholars, and students in the future.